Why Should I Live in Windsor?
A Great Location • A Community of Opportunities
Windsor has been a great place to live and to make a living since it became Connecticut’s the first permanent English-speaking settlement in 1633. Now, as then, people are attracted by a great location and a community of opportunities.
Positioned for a Good Life
By any number of criteria, Windsor is an exceptional place to live:
- There are over 60,000 jobs in aerospace, finance, insurance, engineering, manufacturing and logistics within just 10 miles of Windsor.
- The average annual wage for jobs in Windsor is $70,000.
- Prominent firms like Amazon.com, Alstom, VOYA, Hartford Financial, Westinghouse, CIGNA, SS&C, and Walgreens and many smaller dynamic enterprises have operations in town.
- Windsor is one of the best-served suburban communities in the region in terms of transportation with walkable villages, seven interstate highway exits, six park & ride facilities, intercity passenger rail service, commuter bus service, and adjacent BradleyInternationalAirport.
- Direct connections to major freeways: I-91, I-291 and I-84.
- Just minutes from the State Capitol City, as well as Long Island Sound, Litchfield Hills and the Berkshire Mountains.
Windsor has achieved a good balance between residential, recreational and business development. It features:
- 600 acres of parklands
- More than 16 miles of walking and biking trails
- One golf course within town and many more a short drive away
- One indoor and two outdoor pools
- Outdoor athletic fields
- Lighted tennis courts
- Cross-country ski trails
- Picnic facilities and playgrounds
- Adventure challenge course
- Skate park
- Dog park
- 15 miles of the Connecticut and FarmingtonRivers to fish, kayak, canoe and enjoy.
Windsor is a welcoming community. It is home to eighteen churches, a synagogue, and an Islamic center. There are many opportunities to participate, to feel like you are contributing:
- More than fifty local civic organizations
- Twenty town boards and commissions
- Community events that occur all year long, Shad Derby, Chili Fest, Country Fair, and Torchlight Parade
- Community fund raisers, bike rides, charity runs, spaghetti dinners
- Active volunteer fire service
Variety of Housing
Windsor is a community of comfortable, diverse neighborhoods with a variety of housing styles and prices ranging from apartments and condominiums to executive homes and from affordable to luxury. Windsor offers a place to live for everyone.
Restaurants, Shopping, and More
With more than 40 restaurants, two community shopping centers and numerous specialty stores located in Windsor, residents can find the dining and shopping options they need in town. And for additional shopping options, three large regional malls are less than twenty minutes away.
Quality Schools and Lifelong Learning
A quality public school system along with several private and charter schools provide plenty of choices for parents. And as far as continuing education, there are more than twenty institutions of higher learning within driving distance, including many prestigious colleges, universities and vocational schools.
The Finer Things
Windsor’s culture, arts and entertainment venues include two public libraries, summer concerts on the green, LoomisArtsCenter, and WindsorArtsCenter, three museums and a number of historic buildings and sites.
In addition to these local offerings, the Hartford-Springfield area offers exceptional world-class cultural amenities, from professional sports teams to theaters, museums and orchestras all only minutes away. And within a two-hour drive, are the cultural/sports/entertainment centers of Boston and New York City.
Windsor has a strong and diverse tax base with a AAA rating, allowing for a wide range of municipal programs and services for preschoolers to seniors, while maintaining some of the lowest residential property taxes in the region.
Commitment to Quality
Much of Windsor’s extraordinary success as a community can be attributed to its long-range planning and its commitment to high quality development. The town government has established a reputation as a forward thinking partner that is responsive to the needs of its citizens and businesses.