What We Do
Plan of Conservation and Development Update
The Town Planning and Zoning Commission is currently in the process of updating five chapters of the 2004 Plan of Conservation and Development dealing with residential and economic development, village enhancement, and natural and historic resource preservation and conservation. For more information or to participate in this update process, please click on the plan update link to the right.
The Planning Department is responsible for numerous planning, zoning and inland wetlands functions as well as census activities, environmental protection, mapping and other functions as outlined below.
Support Boards & Commissions
- Prepare agendas, perform research and analysis, receive applications, and perform other administrative functions for: the Town Planning & Zoning Commission, the Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission, the Historic District Commission, and the Energy Task Team.
- Prepare ordinances, materials, and analysis for the Town Council and other Town agencies.
- Develop plans and regulations.
- Monitor federal, state and local plans and programs to maximize their benefits and minimize their liabilities to the community.
- Assist in the design of Town projects (e.g. landscaping, parking lots, beautifications and recreational facilities.)
- Review applications to the Town Planning & Zoning Commission to ensure compliance with the Plan of Conservation and Development as well as the Zoning, and Subdivision Regulations, and encourage good development.
- Review applications to the Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission to ensure development is reasonably in harmony with the environment.
- Update the standards of Zoning, Subdivision, and Inland Wetlands and Watersourses Regulations.
- Conduct environmental education and other programs.
- Prioritize future open space acquisitions.
- Monitor 2010 Census activities and provide local review and input as required.
Geographic Information System
- Develop and gather necessary geographic data to support town functions.
- Create maps/databases and perform analysis to support town programs.