Storm Control responds to year-round storms -- snow, ice, hurricanes, flooding;
Clears hazardous downed trees and debris;
Plows and sands all town roads, town building and school parking lots, and sidewalks around town buildings.
**** Emergencies should be reported to the Police at 911 or 860-688-5273, if not critical. ****
Sand/Salt Mix Locations
*** For residential use only ***
Look for the YELLOW CONTAINER in the parking lot at the following locations:
(Skitchewaug St. off Windsor Ave.)
L.P. Wilson COmmunity Center:
(599 Matianuck Avenue)
Mechanic Street Commuter Parking Lot:
(located behind Town Hall and next to the dog pound)
Oliver Ellsworth School:
Back parking lot next to the sidewalk
Public Works Complex:
(99 Day Hill Road, off Poquonock Avenue; Exit 38 off I-91)
Poquonock Fire House:
(1575 Poquonock Avenue)
Rainbow Fire House:
(750 Rainbow Road)
Any curb, lawn, or mailbox damage, as a result of being hit by a town snowplow, should be reported before April 15th by calling 860-285-1855 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org so the repair work can be inspected and scheduled.
Winter Driving Tips
- Have antifreeze, battery, heater, defroster and windshield wipers checked.
- Install snow tires and make sure they are in good condition.
- Carry jumper cables.
- Carry a small shovel, a bag of salt or sand, and emergency tire chains.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full at all times.
- Clean all the snow off of your car, including head and tail lights, before you drive.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the car in front of you.
- Travel during winter storms may take twice the normal driving time; plan accordingly and drive safely.
- Slow down before you have to stop, especially when approaching an intersection.
- Come to a stop by carefully and lightly pumping your brakes.
- If you are caught in traffic, remember to reduce the use of accessories such as your radio, to minimize the drain on the battery.