November 6th Local Ballot Questions
Question #3 – Town Wide Public Safety Radio System
“Shall the town of Windsor appropriate $4,405,000 for the town-wide radio system replacement project and authorize the issue of bonds and notes in the same amount to finance said appropriation?”
The proposed system provides for new infrastructure to be installed at existing communication towers located throughout the town as well as at the safety complex on Bloomfield Avenue. Equipment will also be installed at the public schools. Portable radios and vehicle radios will be purchased for three public safety agencies, schools and town departments. The system will allow emergency responders to communicate directly with the public schools. The new system will be compliant with national standards and be on a digital platform versus analog. The planned system will allow Windsor public safety agencies to communicate with other safety agencies in the region.
The town-wide public safety radio system was installed in 2003. The system serves police, fire, ambulance as well as the school district, and all town departments including public health and public works.
Question #4 – Public Safety Complex
“Shall the Town of Windsor appropriate $33,900,000 for the public safety complex project and authorize the issue of bonds and notes in the same amount to finance said appropriation?”
In 2014 the town began evaluating the condition of the public safety complex located at 340 Bloomfield Avenue, and the space needs of the police, fire or emergency medical services agencies. To address the needs of each agency, it is proposed to renovate a portion of the existing town-owned facility at 100 Addison Road to serve as the new police station, and renovate the existing public safety facility at 340 Bloomfield Avenue for use by the Windsor Volunteer Fire Department and the Windsor Volunteer Ambulance Association.
Key features of the proposed improvements include:
- Expanded space for current & future use by police, fire and ambulance
- Public lobby / space with accessible restroom facilities
- secure prisoner processing & detention areas
- proper and secure evidence processing and storage areas
- secure and compliant E-911 Dispatch Center
- multi-functional training rooms including Emergency Operations Center
- energy efficient HVAC systems and new electrical & plumbing systems
- properly sized & ventilated fire apparatus bays with additional storage space
- fire department and ambulance in a single facility with shared areas.