Senior Transportation (Dial-a-Ride) In Town Schedule
Monday: In town appointments (no stores)
Tues, Wed: Geissler’s & Price Chopper (morning hours, usually 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM)
Wed: Wal-Mart (11 AM – 1 PM)
Thurs: Target/Stop & Shop (8:30 AM – 10:30 AM)
Friday: Windsor Shopping Center (8:30 AM – 9:30 AM)
First , Second & Third Tuesday of each month: Enfield Mall (1st Tuesday) , Buckland Mall (2nd Tuesday) and West Farms Mall (3rd Tuesday) – if enough people sign up for the trip. You will be notified if we have to cancel the trip due to ridership. If the trip is scheduled to go, we will call to confirm the morning of the trip.
Senior Transportation (Dial-a-Ride) Out of Town Schedule
Transportation is provided for medical appointments only to Bloomfield, East Hartford, Enfield, Farmington, Hartford, Newington, West Hartford and Windsor Locks (wheelchair transportation is available). You must reserve your ride 4 (four) full BUSINESS days in advance of your scheduled ride (NO EXCEPTIONS).
We also utilize a volunteer base to supplement the Dial-A-Ride service who provides transportation to surrounding towns 5 days per week in town cars when needed.
Hours of Operations
The Dial-A-Ride office is open Monday through Friday, except legal holidays, from 7:00 am to 4:00 p.m.
Dial-A-Ride operates Monday through Friday between 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Our buses must be back in the yard at 4:30 pm (no exceptions). If you have an appointment that runs later than 3:45 pm, you are responsible for your transportation home.
Caring Connection transportation operates between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.
Dial-A-Ride operates by a reservation system. Registered passengers may call the reservation line at 860.285.1846. This is an automated system and a reservation line only. Please leave the following information:
- Your name, address and phone number
- Destination (if a doctor appointment, leave the doctor’s name, address and phone number)
- Time of your appointment
- If a wheelchair or aide is used during transportation
- How long you expect to be at the appointment
In town reservations must be made by noon, 2 (two) full business days in advance of your date of travel. Reservations will be taken on a first come first serve basis with consideration given to priority destinations.
Whenever possible, sign up for transportation ahead of time at the Senior Center, within LP Wilson Community Center.
Our policy is to make a confirmation call to you the morning of your ride, by 8:00 am. If you do not answer the phone, we will cancel you from transportaiton for the day. If for some reason you do not receive your confirmation call the morning of your ride or need to cancel, please call 860-285-1996 as soon as possible. Every effort will be made to accommodate appointment times. Because this is a shared ride system, we may need to pick you up earlier than expected in order to pick up others along the way.
Rollover (permanent) Reservations
If you use Dial-A-Ride for the same trip each week: time, day and destination; we can make a permanent reservation for you. You will only need to call us when you don’t need the ride! To schedule a rollover reservation, please follow the steps for leaving a reservation, but mention that this is to be a rollover reservation.
On The Day Of Your Ride
Please be ready twenty minutes prior to your scheduled pick up time. Once the driver arrives, he / she will signal his/her arrival by sounding the horn. If you do not come out, efforts will be made to contact you by telephone.
When being dropped off at your location, ask the driver for your pick up time. If you are running later then the scheduled pick up time, please be sure to call the Senior Transportation office @ 860-285-1996.
If it becomes necessary to cancel your reservation, call the office at 860-285-1996, as soon as possible. Drivers are not responsible for schedules, so please do not make reservations or cancellations with them. Repeated no-shows will result in a loss of service.
If transportation is delayed or cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies, every effort will be made to notify you. If service is cancelled, you will be contacted the morning of your ride to notify you that transportation is cancelled for the day. You may also find an announcement on WFSB Channel 3. If weather conditions worsen during the day, Windsor Senior Transportation may need to shorten the day in order to get every rider home safely. You may call 860.285.1996 to inquire about weather related cancellations.
Important Phone Numbers
To schedule a ride, please call the reservation line at (860) 285-1846.
If you did not receive your confirmation call by 8:00 AM the morning of your ride, to cancel a ride, to ask a question or to make a complaint, please call (860) 285-1996
Alternate Transportation Options for Seniors and Disabled Citizens of Windsor
- Connecticut Transit – Public Transportation buses – provides rides to and from many locations and is an easy service to use. Simply call (860) 525-9181 for more information. Windsor Dial-A-Ride can provide you with transportation to the nearest bus stop if it is too far for you to walk.
- Greater Hartford Transit District (GHTD) ADA (American’s with Disabilities Act) Para Transit Services – Available to people with disabilities who live within ¾ of a mile of a bus stop but are unable to get there. Call (860) 247-5329 or (860) 724-5340 ext 1 for service if already enrolled.
- Veyo / Connecticut NEMT – Non-Emergency Medical Transportation – Available to those on Medicaid. Call toll free (855) 478-7350, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm EST for more info and to schedule a ride.
- The American Cancer Society – Offers volunteer drivers for those with cancer- related medical appointments (requires 3 business days’ notice). Call (800) 227-2345 one week or more before your appointment to request transportation.
- Metro Wheel Chair Service Inc. (M7) – Can provide a wheelchair if you don’t have one – transport into and out of doctor’s office. Will pick up from home, as well. Prefer 48 hour notice. For more information, call 860-643-4322. Fee – depends on where you are going – may also call First Transit @ (888) 743-3112 for payment information.
- Nutmeg Senior Rides – 24 hour transportation for seniors – requires at least 1-2 days’ notice to schedule a ride. For more information, call (860) 758-7833.
- Allied Transportation – Weekday, Weekend and Holiday transportation to special events, funerals, medical appointments, shopping, etc. – anywhere you wish to go. For more information, call (860) 741-3701.
- United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Hartford – Provides transportation to medical appointments within Greater Hartford for people with Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities, call (860) 236-6201.
- Way to Go Connecticut – website; www.waytogoct.org -Transportation resource with guidebook containing information on transportation options in north central Connecticut covered by Way To Go CT and downloadable sections of information for your specific town. Transportation discount voucher program available.
- Call your local church – They will often times provide transportation.