Dog Licenses


Dog licenses are required by state law for dogs six months or older. Newly obtained dogs must be licensed within 30 days of new ownership.  Dog licenses are renewed annually in June.  Late fees will be added for any dog license renewed after June 30th.  After August 1st, a $75 fine may be levied by the Animal Control Officer.


First Time Licenses

First time licenses require a current rabies vaccination certificate issued by a veterinarian and, if necessary, proof of the dog being spayed or neutered.  License your new dog in person at the Town Clerk's office or by mail (please submit the appropriate paperwork).  On-line licensing not available for first time licenses.


Mail-in License Renewals

Renewals may be returned to the Town Clerk through the mail.  To renew by mail, please remit the following:

  • Check payable to the Town of Windsor (Fee list below)
  • Self addressed stamped return envelope
  • Rabies vaccination certificate (copy will be returned with dog tags)
  • Neuter/Spay certificate for newly spayed or neutered dogs.

On-line License Renewals

What you will need:

  •  Credit or Debit Card
  •  Current rabies certificate on file with the Town Clerk’s Office
    • See below for expired rabies certificates
  •  Owner’s I.D. Number (found on front of reminder postcard or in your email)

A convenience fee will be added. 

  •  $1.00 fee for any transaction under $42.50 or 2.35% for any transaction fee over $42.50.

New dog tags are mailed to owners of dogs with a valid rabies certificate on file with our office.

Click her for easy on-line renewals - MAY BE PURCHASED BEGINNING JUNE 1st. 


Expired Rabies Certificate - For on-line renewals only

Submit a copy of the rabies certificate from your veterinarian to the Town Clerk’s office.  A confirmation email will be sent within 2 business days to confirm that you may proceed with on-line renewals.


How to submit the veterinarian certificate:

  •    Fax: 860-285-1909 (please provide an email address for a confirmation email.)

  License Fees

Neutered male, Spayed female


Male, Female


Late Fee (per month)


Transfer of ownership


Lost tag


Change of residence (within CT- must provide license from prior town)



Newsletter from the CT Department of Agriculture