We're phasing in the re-opening of town facilites. Please check our virtual Town Hall page for updates..

Veteran’s Discharges

To receive a veteran’s exemption on the assessed value of your real or personal property, you must file your original DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) in the Town Clerk’s office. You must file by September 30th to receive credit on the following year’s tax bill. There is no fee for filing the DD-214.  A certified copy of your DD-214 previously filed with another town is acceptable, if an original is not available.

To qualify, you must have served during a time of war and discharged honorably.

Duplicate copies of DD-214’s may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center, at 1-(800) 827-1000 and request a Form 180 or you can visit their website at

   Click here to download Form 180

For further information regarding your exemption, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 860-285-1817.