Chief Donald Melanson
I would like to welcome you the Windsor Police Department’s website. I am honored to serve the Town of Windsor with the men and women of the Windsor Police Department (WPD). WPD is dedicated to providing professional policing services for our residents and visitors alike. We are fortunate that we work in a community that strongly supports our efforts. We will strive to maintain and build upon that trust and support through our actions and deeds.
Along with our responsibilities of enforcing the law and maintaining order, WPD takes seriously our role as guardians and servants. We will continue with and embrace a community policing philosophy of serving the public. We will seek out new ways to positively interact with our residents to make their lives better.
Our officers strive to uphold the virtues of all that is good in our profession. We cherish the opportunity to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Integrity, honesty, and truthfulness are the foundations of our department. Our expectations include commitment, compassion, restraint, and respect, for our community, our department, and each other.
I hope you find the information available on our website useful and informative. Please feel free to contact us if you have any suggestions so that we can better serve you and our community.
The Windsor Police Department is an organization driven by the needs of the Windsor community and its citizens. We are committed to working together for the common good of the community we serve. We protect the constitutional rights of our citizens by fair and strict enforcement of laws. We have respect and compassion for the dignity of human life. We demonstrate standards of integrity, professionalism and honesty. We are talented, open minded, and compassionate as we work diligently to be leaders in the community we serve.
- To protect citizens constitutional rights through strict enforcement of laws and protection of property
- To serve our community’s needs, create innovative programs and utilize the talents of in-house staff
- To be compassionate through the use of best practices and high quality work with respect for the dignity of human life
- To be understanding and maintain an open mind in dealings with internal and external customers
- To be leaders within the community while listening and communicating freely
- To demonstrate only the highest ethical standards of integrity, professionalism and honesty
- To be an organization driven by the needs of our citizens with a commitment to working together for the common good of the community we serve
The Windsor Police Department is comprised of approximately 65 employees; 52 sworn officers and 10 civilians and dispatchers. The community they serve is nearly 30 square miles with a population of 28,500 citizens. The Windsor Police Department is dedicated in their continuing efforts to work with and within the community, striving for a safe & healthy town for our citizens and guests.