Wildlife Issues

Edwin Way Teale Quote:

Those who wish to pet and baby wild animals love them,

but those who respect their natures and wish to let them 

live normal lives, love them more.

Contact Windsor Police dispatch to report sick/injured wildlife or wildlife attacks at 860-688-5273. Windsor Animal Control (when available) will transport injured wildlife to an available rehab facility that has room for the animal. If no rehab is available to take in the injured animal the animal may be dispatched by animal control or police to prevent suffering. Rehabilitators are certified by the state and you can access a list below which also shows the types of animals rehabilitators can care for.

NEW! CT DEEP and the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies (AFWA) have partnered with Responsive Management to conduct a statewide study in Connecticut about residents’ opinions on wildlife and wildlife-related activities.

State residents may receive a phone call from Responsive Management asking them to participate in a brief telephone survey about wildlife; selection of residents for participation is random to maintain a scientifically valid study. If you receive a call at home or on your cell phone, please consider participating in the study to assist the Department and AFWA in better understanding residents’ opinions on wildlife.
If you have any questions about the study, please contact the DEEP-Wildlife Division at 860-424-3011 or email deep.wildlife@ct.gov.
Responsive Management
Wildlife Agency


About Our Bears:

DO remove birdfeeders and bird food from late March through November.

DO Eliminate food attractants by placing garbage cans inside garage or shed. Add ammonia to trash to make it unpalatable.

DO clean and store grills away after use.

DON'T intentionally feed bears. Bears that become accustomed to finding food near your home may become “problem" bears.

DON'T leave pet food outside overnight.

DON'T add meat or sweets to a compost pile.


For a list of wildlife rehabilitators for injured wildlife issues go to: 2019_PUBLIC_Rehab__Directory.pdf

For a list of Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators go to: 2019_NWCO_DIRECTORY.pdf

To learn more about black bears or to report a sighting of a black bear go to: http://www.depdata.ct.gov/wildlife/sighting/bearrpt.htm

To learn more about other wild animals in your neighborhood go to: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2723&q=325720&deepNav_GID=1655

Anyone utilizing a humane trap to catch nuisance wildlife is responsible for whatever they catch in said trap. Windsor Animal Control is not responsible for removing or releasing what you catch and you will be referred to a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator.

Windsor Animal Control does not respond to nuisance wildlife issues such as animals in chimneys, attics, dumpsters. If you find an animal stuck in a dumpster you can simply knock a smaller dumpster on its side or place a board or other material into a larger dumpster to allow them to climb out. Otherwise, you would have to contact a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator which are listed above. These people are licensed by the state and certified through DEEP for this function. For further assistance you can call DEEP Wildlife division at 860-424-3011.

For immediate assistance you can contact DEEP 24 hour emergency dispatch at 860-424-3333.

Wildlife Rehabilitation Information
Nuisance Wildlife Operator
Reporting A Black Bear Sighting
Common Wildlife Information