Dog licenses are required by state law for dogs six months or older. Newly obtained dogs must be licensed within 30 days of new ownership. Dog licenses are renewed annually in June. Late fees will be added for any dog license renewed after June 30th. After August 1st, a $75 fine may be levied by the Animal Control Officer.
First Time Licenses
License your new dog in person at the Town Clerk's office or by mail. On-line licensing not available for first time licenses. You will need to submit the following when licensing your dog:
- Current rabies vaccination certificate
- If necessary, proof the dog has been neutered or spayed
Mail-in License Renewals
Renewals may be returned to the Town Clerk through the mail. To renew by mail, please submit the following:
- Check payable to the Town of Windsor (Fee list below)
- Self addressed stamped return envelope
- Rabies vaccination certificate (certificate will be returned with dog tags)
- Neuter/Spay certificate – only for newly spayed or neutered dogs.
On-line License Renewals
What you will need:
- Credit or Debit Card
- Current rabies certificate on file with the Town Clerk’s Office – See below for expired rabies certificates
- Owner’s I.D. Number (found on front of reminder postcard or in your email)
A convenience fee will be added.
- $1.00 fee for any transaction under $42.50 or 2.35% for any transaction fee over $42.50.
New dog tags are mailed to owners of dogs with a current rabies certificate on file with our office.
Expired Rabies Certificate – For on-line renewals only
Submit a copy of the rabies certificate from your veterinarian to the Town Clerk’s office. A confirmation email will be sent within 2 business days to confirm that you may proceed with on-line renewals.
How to submit the veterinarian certificate:
- Email: Scan or take a picture with your cell phone and email to: email@example.com
- Fax: 860-285-1909 (please provide an email address for a confirmation email.)
Neutered male, spayed female:
Late Fee (per month):
Transfer of Ownership:
Change of Residence
(within CT- must provide license from prior town):