Motor Vehicle Assessment Change Information

The Department of Motor Vehicles does not notify the Assessor’s Office of any cancellation or change of status on the subject registration(s). If the registration (PLATE) on this vehicle was transferred to another vehicle the current bill is not adjustable, and the payment is due in full. Receipt in January of a “Supplemental Bill” will apply all credits and adjustments due between the “old” vehicle and the “new” vehicle. If the subject registration (PLATE) was not transferred, but was either: sold, totaled, repossessed, or registered in another state, then our auditors shall require sufficient proof.

Acceptable proof shall consist of one of the following:
Plate Receipt from DMV;

Copy of the bill of sale;

Out of State registration;
Showing the date the vehicle was registered outside the State of Connecticut.

Letter from charitable organization;
Showing vehicle information and date vehicle was donated.

Stolen or totaled;
A statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was not recovered.

Trade in vehicle (with new plates);
A copy of the purchase agreement identifying the trade in vehicle.

Junked vehicle;
A receipt from the junkyard acquiring the vehicle

Letter from the insurance company;
Stating the vehicle information, the reason for the change, vehicle disposition, and pertinent dates

For additional information contact the Assessor’s Office at (860) 285-1817