Windsor has been a great place to live and to make a living since it became Connecticut’s the first permanent English-speaking settlement in 1633. Now, as then, people are attracted by a great location and a community of opportunities.
Positioned for a Good Life
By any number of criteria, Windsor is an exceptional place to live:
- There are over 60,000 jobs in aerospace, finance, insurance, engineering, manufacturing and logistics within just 10 miles of Windsor.
- The average annual wage for jobs in Windsor is $70,000.
- Prominent firms like Amazon.com, Alstom, VOYA, Hartford Financial, Westinghouse, CIGNA, SS&C, and Walgreens and many smaller dynamic enterprises have operations in town.
- Windsor is one of the best-served suburban communities in the region in terms of transportation with walkable villages, seven interstate highway exits, six park & ride facilities, intercity passenger rail service, commuter bus service, and adjacent BradleyInternationalAirport.
- Direct connections to major freeways: I-91, I-291 and I-84.
- Just minutes from the State Capitol City, as well as Long Island Sound, Litchfield Hills and the Berkshire Mountains.
Windsor has achieved a good balance between residential, recreational and business development. It features:
- 600 acres of parklands
- More than 16 miles of walking and biking trails
- One golf course within town and many more a short drive away
- One indoor and two outdoor pools
- Outdoor athletic fields
- Lighted tennis courts
- Cross-country ski trails
- Picnic facilities and playgrounds
- Adventure challenge course
- Skate park
- Dog park
- 15 miles of the Connecticut and Farmington Rivers to fish, kayak, canoe and enjoy.
Windsor is a welcoming community. It is home to eighteen churches, a synagogue, and an Islamic center. There are many opportunities to participate, to feel like you are contributing:
- More than fifty local civic organizations
- Twenty town boards and commissions
- Community events that occur all year long, Shad Derby, Chili Fest, Country Fair, and Torchlight Parade
- Community fund raisers, bike rides, charity runs, spaghetti dinners
- Active volunteer fire service