While respiratory infections occur year-round, these infections tend to increase during the fall and winter months when people tend to spend more time inside. These respiratory infections include: COVID-19, enterovirus, influenza, parainfluenza, rhinovirus and RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus).
It’s Important to remember prevention strategies which are similar for all of the respiratory infections.
- Get all necessary vaccines according to published guidance
- Wash your hands regularly, especially after you have been in a public place
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth to prevent germs from entering your body
- Cover your cough with your elbow, not your hand
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched items regularly
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you don’t have access to soap and water
Stay home when you are sick
Mask and distance yourself when you have symptoms and are around others
Diet and Rest
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and minerals
- Routinely sleep at least 7 hours each night