Can I obtain a Building Permit Application online?
The Town of Windsor is transitioning to an online permit system. Click the below link to learn more and set up an account.
Old method of obtaining a building permit (being phased out)
What documents and/or information will I need for the permit application?
The building permit application will ask you to provide some basic information about the property and your proposed construction project. These requirements include:
- Type of work
- Property address
- Property owner’s name & contact information
- Name, address, phone number and license or registration of the contractor working on the project
- Description of the work
- Total valuation of the project including labor & materials
What other documentation do I need to include with my permit application?
- Proof of Workers’ Compensation CT State Statute Sec. 31-286b of the Workers’ Compensation Act requires anyone who requests a building permit to submit “proof of workers’ compensation coverage for all of the employees who are engaged to perform services on the site of the construction project for which the permit was issued.” (This is not necessary if you are currently on file with our office.)
The only exceptions to this law are the Sole Proprietor or Property Owner who WILL be acting as General Contractor or Principal Employer. The Form 7A must be submitted with the permit application.
- A copy of contractor license or registration. (This is not necessary if you are currently on file with our office)
- 2 copies of plans (drawings) describing the work to be performed with dimensions and cross section(s) in sufficient detail to determine zoning and code requirements, (i.e. photo brochure of pre-built shed or plans for deck – Indicate on a plot plan, property survey, or sketch drawn to scale where the shed or deck will be located on the property.)
- Permit Fee is based on the retail market value of the project including the cost of labor and material. $35 on the first $1,000 and $13 for each additional $1,000 of value. This is for Building and Mechanical Permits, Residential and Commercial. A check should be made payable to the Town of Windsor. Credit Cards are subject to a 2.35% service fee. Cash is acceptable.
Remodeling your home? The state requires that you update your Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors.
Mail all completed application materials to:
Town of Windsor
ATT: Building Dept.
275 Broad St.
Please make all information legible so that we may contact you with any further questions.
ALL PERMITS REQUIRE AN ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Additional permit information is required for Solar Installation. This information should be submitted with the Windsor permt application.