Excavation and Driveway Permits
In order to do any work within the Town of Windsor right-of-way (i.e. connecting a driveway to the street, crossing a town sidewalk with a drive, or any excavation in the right-of-way) one must first obtain a Contractor's license with the Town of Windsor Engineering Department. No permit to work can be issued until this is completed.
Additional Driveway Information
Property owners should know that when planning to alter the driveway by widening it and/or relocating it there are some Zoning Requirements that should be followed:
- Driveway widths should not exceed 18 feet.
- Driveways should not be located closer than 6 feet to the property line. A waiver reducing the distance to 3 feet may be granted if jointly approved by the Town Planner and Zoning Enforcement Officer.
- There should be no more than one driveway and one curb cut per residential lot.
Issuing of Licenses
Before a new license can be issued a contractor must provide a bond on the Town of Windsor form in the amount of $10,000, a certificate of insurance for $1,000,000, and a minimum of 2 references of previous work performed. (*See Below)
For license RENEWALS the contractors insurance and bond must be valid and on file.
* Projects completed in the past 2 years involving the type of work for which the license is applied for, and minimum of 2 references familiar with the type of work for which the license is being requested.
Types of Licenses
- Curb & Walk
- Drain, Pipe, or Conduit Layer
- Street Excavation / Driveway
- General Contractor (e.g., Curb, Walk, Drains, Driveways, & Excavation)
New License Issue $75.00
Renewal of License $50.00
One fee covers any and/or all licenses
Procedure to Issue Permits
Every Contractor doing business in the Town is required to have the following before a permit can be issued.
- A License issued by the Town for the calendar year
- A Bond on the Town form in the amount of $10,000
- “Call Before You Dig" request number
- A Certificate of Insurance showing limit of liability equal to or exceeding the following amounts must be provided:
- Commercial General Liability Insurance – $1,000,000 per occurrence; $1,000,000 aggregate for bodily injury and property damage
- Commercial Automobile Liability Insurance – $1,000,000 per occurrence; $1,000,000 aggregate for all owned, hired, and non-owned vehicles
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance:
- Bodily Injury by Accident – $100,000 each acciden
- Bodily Injury by Disease – $500,000 policy limi
- Bodily Injury by Disease – $100,000 each employee
- Umbrella Liability Insurance – $1,000,000 per occurrence; $1,000,000 aggregate for bodily injury and property damage.
Permit fees for work performed within town's right of way
|Town Sidewalk (Driveway crossing)||$50.00|
|Excavations (in Town R.O.W.)||$50.00|
|Adjacent locations at the same property||$25.00|
**If the roadway has been recently resurfaced and/or carries significant traffic, the Town may require the use of flowable fill as backfill in trenches.**