What is the difference between the regulated area and the ‘no disturb’ zone?

The Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission regulates any activity within the regulated area, which is within 150 feet of an inland wetland or watercourse.  This simply means that an Inland Wetlands Permit is required, not necessarily that activity is prohibited.  Within the regulated area, the Commission discourages any activity within the first 50 feet from an inland wetland or watercourse, referred to as the “no disturb zone”.

With Commission approval, you can conduct activity in thw 50-foot buffer, as well as within the inland wetlands themselves, but the Commission’s agent is prohibited from approving even the simplest of activities in these areas.