What We Do
The Planning Department is responsible for numerous planning, zoning and inland wetlands functions as well as census activities, environmental protection, mapping and other functions as outlined below.
- Develop plans and regulations.
- Monitor federal, state and local plans and programs to maximize their benefits and minimize their liabilities to the community.
- Assist in the design of Town projects (e.g. landscaping, parking lots, beautifications and recreational facilities.)
- Review applications to the Town Planning & Zoning Commission to ensure compliance with the Plan of Conservation and Development as well as the Zoning, and Subdivision Regulations, and encourage good development.
- Review applications to the Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission to ensure development is reasonably in harmony with the environment.
- Update the standards of Zoning, Subdivision, and Inland Wetlands and Watersourses Regulations.
- Conduct environmental education and other programs.
- Prioritize future open space acquisitions.
- Monitor 2010 Census activities and provide local review and input as required.
Support Boards & Commissions
We support boards and commissions by preparing agendas, performing research and analysis, receive applications, and perform other administration functions. Boards and commissions we support are:
Geographic Information System
- We develop and gather necessary geographic data to support town functions.
- We create maps/databases and perform analysis to support town programs.