Frequently Asked Questions

The land documents are not available on-line, but the land indices are available.  The land indices provide grantor/grantee information going back to January 1, 1970 and go through the present.  When searching for information in our index only enter the owner’s last name or a company’s name and then enter the start date.  Select “Begin Search” to display a list of the documents.  To view all parties associated with a particular land document select the volume number.  To view a list of the document descriptions, select the abbreviation of the document type.

   View our land indices on-line

Yes, genealogical research can be performed in the Town Clerk’s Office.  Our office will provide access to the Town’s vital record indexes and direct access to the vital records that are not restricted upon request.  In the State of Connecticut, birth records less that are 100 years old are closed to the general public.  Access to these birth records will only be given to a member of a genealogical society authorized by the Secretary of the State to do business in the State of Connecticut.  In accordance with federal law, the Town Clerk’s Office is required to restrict access to social security numbers listed on birth records from November 1, 1990 to present, and from marriage, civil union, and death records from July 1, 1997 to present.  This restriction also applies to genealogists.

Connecticut requires any person conducting business under any assumed name to file a Trade Name Certificate in the town or city where they are conducting and transacting business.  All individuals authorized to sign on behalf of the business must appear before a Notary Public, Town Clerk or any other persons authorized by law to acknowledge a signature.  The fee for filing a Trade Name Certificate in the Town Clerk’s Office is $5.00. The Trade Name Certificate may also be notarized in the Clerk’s Office for an additional $2.00.

   Trade Name Certificate Application

You may file for a divorce in the judicial district where you live or where your spouse lives. If your spouse resides out of the state, file the case in the judicial district serving your town. In the Town of Windsor, residents should file for divorce in the Hartford Judicial District (Family Division) located at 90 Washington Street in Hartford. They may be reached at 860-706-5100.

To determine is there is a lien on your property you may either come down to the Town Clerk’s Office during regular business hours or you may search our land indices on-line.  When searching on-line select the volume number to see the grantor/grantee information.  With a lien the property owner would be the grantor and person or entity filing the lien would be the grantee.   To view the actual document you would need to come into our office. Photocopies may be made for $1.00 per page.  If the lien has been satisfied and our index does not reflect that, you must contact the lien holder and request that a Release of Lien be sent to our office for recording.

Certified copies of birth, death and marriage records may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office in person, during regular business hours or by mail.  The fee for a certified copy of a vital record is $20.00.  For requests by mail, please visit our vital records page for more information.

The Department of Public Health may release vital records data to individuals and organizations, in accordance with Connecticut General Statute section 19a-25 and sections 19a-25-1 through 19a-25-4 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (PDF). The individual or organization requesting the vital records data must show that the data will be used for medical or scientific research, or that the release of the data is authorized by the Freedom of Information Act. To obtain more information, please contact the Department of Public Health at 860-509-8000.

Filing a trade name certificate at the local level does not protect your name.  If you have a business name or symbol that you consider unique and valuable, you may want to register it as a trademark or service mark.  Trademarks are any word, name or symbol, or device, or a combination of these, used to identify the goods of a business and distinguish those goods from the goods of others.  Similarly, there are service marks that may be used to identify and distinguish a business that provides a service rather than goods.  You are not required to register your trademark or service mark with any governmental agency.  Trademarks are protected under common law.  However, by registering your mark, you may gain certain exclusive ownership benefits under statutory law.  For further information contact the Office of the Secretary of State or visit their website at

To be eligible to vote in Connecticut you must be a U.S. citizen, reside in Connecticut, and be 18 years old on or before the next election.  You may register to vote in person at Town Hall, either with the Registrar of Voters or the Town Clerk.  You may also register to vote by mail by completing, signing and mailing a voter registration form to the Registrar of Voters at 275 Broad Street, Windsor CT 06095.

To apply for an amendment or correction to a vital record:

  • You must be a party that is entitled to make such a request;
  • You must apply for the requested change in writing, and submit it to the vital records registrar in the town where the vital event occurred; AND
  • You must submit documentation proving that the information to be entered onto the record is accurate.

It is advised that you call the local registrar of the town where the vital event occurred for further information about whether you are entitled to make the requested change, and to know what type of documentation you will need to provide. There is no processing fee for amendments or corrections.

See Connecticut General Statutes §§ 7-42 and 19a-42

To obtain a copy of your Divorce Decree you must request it from the Superior Court where the divorce was granted. See Directory of Connecticut Superior Courts. Please call the appropriate court for fees and requirements.

In order to obtain a marriage license, you and your partner must appear in person at the Town Clerk’s Office during regular business hours.  The couple must first complete an application and then sign the marriage license under oath.  Information that is essential in completing the application that you may not readily know is the name, address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony, your social security number and your parents’ place of birth.  The fee for applying is $30.00 and the license is valid for 65 days from the date of issuance.  The marriage license is issued on the same day you apply.  Blood work is no longer required.

   Marriage License Application

   Justice of the Peace

The Town Clerk’s Office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Land recordings are taken Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  All recordings received after 4:30 p.m. will be recorded for 8:00 a.m. the following business day.

If you are a member of a genealogical society that is authorized by the Secretary of the State, you are entitled to access all vital records except confidential files on adoption, paternity, gender re-assignment and gestational agreements. You may call for an appointment to search the vital records at a local town (See the Connecticut Town Clerk and Registrar Directory) or at the State of Connecticut Vital Records Office at (860) 509-7955 or 509-7289. The vital records registry maintained by the State only contains records from 1897 to the present. For older records, you will need to contact the local vital records office or the State Library.

See Connecticut General Statutes §7-51a.

To learn more about genealogical research visit:

Windsor teens can obtain a work permit from the Windsor High School Guidance Office, 50 Sage Park Road during regular business hours.  For more information, call 687-2020, Ext. 370.

The Town of Windsor is divided into seven districts, which contain a total of seven polling locations.  District 1, L.P. Wilson Community Center; District 2, John F. Kennedy School; District 3, Town Hall; District 4, 330 Windsor Ave – Caring Connection; District 5, Oliver Ellsworth School; District 6, Poquonock School; District 7, Rainbow Firehouse.

To find your polling place, click here