Hiring Process and Qualifications
To become a Police Recruit you must complete the following steps:
- Meet all entrance requirements and minimum standards.
- File an application with the Town’s Personnel Office.
- Pass the written aptitude test which you schedule with Personnel.
- Physical agility test.
- Polygraph examination
- Complete Personal History Form.
- Background investigation
- Department Interview Board
- Psychological evaluation
- Physical examination
Passing all of the above steps will place you on the eligibility list.
If you are selected for the Police Academy, you will be hired as a Police Recruit. Upon graduation from the academy you will be promoted to Police Officer.
Police Recruit applicants must meet the following initial requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old by the time of hire.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED certificate.
- If you have had military service, discharge must be “honorable,” or “under honorable conditions”.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass all the steps listed under “Hiring Procedure”.
- No evidence of deception or subterfuge demonstrated during the pre-employment process. Applicants who do not meet this qualifier may have their files reviewed on a case-by-case basis at the Training Bureau Commander’s discretion.
The following additional minimum standards involve activities which may to date have been unreported to or undetected by law enforcement, but which will result in disqualification is discovered during the employment process or thereafter.
- No undetected illegal drug possession or use during the past two years.
- No illegal distribution or sale of any drug.
- No undetected crimes involving morals charges.
- No undetected commissions of misdemeanor crimes of violence or use of physical force or threat thereof, during the past two years.
- No undetected commissions of misdemeanor property crimes during the past two years.
- Any undetected commission of felony crimes will result in immediate disqualification. Any information relative to criminal prosecution will be made available to the proper jurisdiction.
- Applicants who are subject to disqualification based on the above criteria may have their files reviewed on a case-by-case basis at the Training Bureau Commander’s discretion.
Your background will be closely examined using highly professional, legal, ethical and moral standards.
For information about possible vacancies please
visit the Town of Windsor Human Resources website.